Some accidents turn out to be a good thing. This, fortunately, is one of those times. I had some leftover chicken and was absolutely starving. It makes a big bowl to throw in the fridge, which will last for serveral lunches. Pack it to go or save it all for yourself! Either way, this recipe is an intersting twist for chicken salad.
Asian Chicken Salad with Pickled Cucumbers
By June 14, 2013Published:
Some accidents turn out to be a good thing. This, fortunately, is one of those times. I had some leftover chicken and was absolutely …
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 store bought roasted chicken
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen edamame thawed and cooked according to package, cooled
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis or 2 tablespoons soy sauce mixed with 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, fish sauce and sugar.
- Whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Add the cucumbers and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- If using chicken breast, brush with oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Grill or cook on a grill pan.
- Let cool.
- Chop into small pieces, about 1/2".
- If using a store bought chicken, remove all the meat from the roasted chicken and chop into small pieces then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, carrot, edamame. tomatoes. and cilantro to the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo, lime juice, kecap manis, seasame oil, and a little salt then whisk until blended smooth.
- Pour 3/4 of the sauce over the chicken mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Save the remainder of the sauce to use for drizzling over salad.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour for the flavors to meld.
- Shred napa cabbage and scoop chicken salad on top, then drizzle with extra sauce.
- Place pickled cucumbers on top of the salad.
- The chicken salad is also great in wraps.