Love, love, love this salsa. Every so often, I pat my self on the back when I get something right. First, this is healthy, which I wasn't trying to do…it just happened. Second, quick and easy. And lastly, so tasty. Having a party? I highly recommend this dish. While the steak prepares enough for 4-6 people, the salsa makes a huge bowl. It goes with chicken, steak,and pork. Or serve it right on warm tortillas as a veggie option. My kids had no clue there was quinoa in it and loved this meal.
Now, a lot of shoppers asked me about the skirt steak and why mine tasted so delish. I only seasoned it with salt and pepper. That's it. No fuss. I grilled it a couple minutes on each side, removed it and let it sit. If you are making tacos, cook it rare, remove, and slice. When you are ready to serve the tacos, heat a skillet and quickly brown the meat again on high heat. The trick is not overcooking the meat and letting it rest for serveral minutes.
Grilled Skirt Steak with Black Bean and Quinoa Salsa
By May 21, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4-6
by Kiki Luthringshausen of Beauty and Her Feast
- 2 lbs skirt steak about three 1/2
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and chopped
- 1 plum tomato seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ears of corn removed from cob, about 2 cups
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed and cooked according to package then set aside at room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the black beans, red pepper, jalapeno, tomato, corn, onion, garlic, cumin and quinoa. Squeeze the lime juice over the mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and taste. Adjust seasoning. Set aside
- Prepare a grill for cooking, medium-high for gas.
- Pat steaks dry and sprinkle with both sides with sea salts and freshly ground pepper.
- Grill steaks on a lightly oiled rack, turning once. 6-8 minutes for medium rare.
- Transfer steaks to a platter and let sit. Steaks will cook for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, thinly slice diagonally and scoop a large spoonful of salsa on top of steak. *Steaks can also be grilled on a hot lightly oiled ridged grill pan.